I am back with the new iPad! I had kind of fallen off the tablet bandwagon recently. It was partly due to having a new baby two years ago! I have been so busy that haven’t updated this blog in a long time!
My iPad 2 had a broken screen which I successfully replaced! Yay! However, I damaged the wifi antenna and my thirty pin connector had become difficult to connect to the computer. This limited the usefulness of the iPad 2. Thankfully Best Buy gave me about $50 for it!
Here are five reasons why I bought the new 2017 iPad:
- Price: While the new 2017 iPad is not the cheapest Tablet it is cheaper than my previous iPad 2. Also there was a $30 discount which brought the price down to $300.
- Storage: The 16 GB iPad just doesn’t work anymore. I was constantly having to manage my storage on the iPad 2. The base storage on the cheapest 2017 iPad is 32 GB. While that still is not humungus for a tablet but it is double the storage of my old iPad. Now I have enough storage to keep some downloaded movies on the iPad for traveling and still download multiple apps and other storage hog items.
- Smaller size: It was appealing to have a slightly smaller iPad but keep the same screen size. I like my iPad mini but the screen is a little small for some tasks. The newer iPads have nice form factor. Since I mostly use a protector the smaller bezel isn’t an issue.
- Multitasking with iOS 11: I never realized how wonderful multitasking is since it never worked on my iPad 2. Even with iOS 10 multitasking on the iPad is wonderful. You can actually type and have a book or web page pulled up in split view. The upcoming iOS 11 multitasking update really shows that the iPad can be used for serious work.
- Swift Playgrounds: Since Apple announced Swift Playgrounds to help learn coding I have been intrigued. The app would not work on my old iPad 2 so I could never evaluate it. Now that I have the 2017 iPad I can run the swift playground app. The Swift playgrounds app helps you learn programming for free!
What do you think? Is the new 2017 iPad worth the update?