Well I finally broke down and ordered an iPad 2 this morning. I guess I’ll have to wait a little longer because right now it is scheduled to ship on April 1st. In anticipation of the iPad for our homeschool I thought I would share some of the ways I am planning on using the iPad for homeschooling.
- Art studies – My plan is to pull up famous pictures whith my kids and discuss them in typical Charlotte Mason fashion
- Books – I am really looking forward to my children gathered arround so I can read to them. I am also planning on exploring all the interactive children’s books.
- History studies
- Maps – I am hoping the History Mapp app will load faster than it does currently on my iPhone.
- Watch math videos with my daughter
- Helping my daughter with her reading/phonics
- Helping my five year old learn his letter sounds and practice tracing letters
- YouTube videos on science and history
- Preparing lesson plans in bed
Hopefully the iPad will get here sooner and I can report back on my progress.
In my next post I will discuss how to prepare for using the iPad for homeschooling.
I remember one of the first computers I used at school was the Apple IIc. I think the school even purchased it using points from box tops. While you probably can’t get an iPad with box tops, Apples website does say that Homeschool teachers qualify for education pricing. The discounts not much considering anybody can get a refurbished iPad for $429 right now. To some the cost still seems high for a tool that currently can only be used to supplement your current curriculum. Even though the price is high I believe there are still some pretty good reasons to get and iPad for homeschooling. Here are some of the reasons I came up with.
- There are a lot of educational apps – a are free or less than $5.00
- Apple has a history of working with education
- The iPad it the best tablet for the money (or until a good Android tablet comes out)
- Homeschoolers are not tied to traditional classrooms.
- The iPad is more suited for families than institutions.
- You can control content with your own iTunes account
- Homeschoolers customize school to each individual child’s learning style.
- The iPad makes learning fun
- You can do school on the sofa or outside.
Feel free to add any additional reasons in the comments below.